This I Believe

Norman - leadton, Missouri
Entered on December 14, 2007
Age Group: Under 18
Themes: carpe diem
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

Live for Today

I found out in life that you have to live for today when my cousin had her accident. When she was two months old she was diagnosed with had leukemia. She got this cancer by catching a common cold that a lot of kids had at daycare. But she was different she was not able to build up an immunity fast enough to stop it from growing. That was a turning point in my family’s lives. We found that bad things can happen to anyone no matter what the age was, and there is nothing that you can do about it except be there to support them through their problems in life. No matter what you need to give your comfort and support to help them move forward in life, because if you don’t live for the moment you will end up dwelling on the past and never get over it. If you have kids that is all the more reason to get over your problems. That way you can help them in their lives if you are dwelling on the past your kids will know it. Even though my cousin got leukemia at such a young age and all the doctors that seen her gave her about 40% chance to live and 60% chance that she was going to die. She has turned two years old this year and is in complete remission.

I believe that people should live life for today. Don’t worry about anything that might happen just what is happening right now. I think that you can’t live out your life in fear of what may happen. Everyone needs to focus on what is going on in their lives today. That is all that matters in life, what is happening to you now. Not what might happen to me tomorrow just what has happened already and what you are going to do to make yourself fell better about it. You also need to find your own way to move on even though something bad has happened you are still a good person. Find your own way to move on and find the positive thing in life that that can make you an even better person and might get to help someone else out with a similar problem.