It Is Your Life; You Are In Control!

Amanda - Park Hills, Missouri

I never used to set any kind of goal for myself. I went through school just barely hanging onto my grades. I didn’t have anyone to encourage me to make me do better, so I did nothing. When I was in 9th grade, my grades were horrible, and I was doing nothing to turn it around. My family that I was living with then told me I was doing wrong, but I never got punished for it, and I wish more then anything that I would have. When I moved, my life was crazy I did nothing, and I ignored my new family. However, my adopted mom helped me. She made me realize that you can’t live for today only, but for tomorrow also.

She always says, “You can get anything in the world that you want, if you are willing to work for it.” This is what my mom believes, and what she teaches her kids. She encourages us to work for what we want, or for what we believe is right. She also tells us to set short term goals, so they can build up to the bigger goals.

My mom helps us with our goals, but she also stands back to watch us meet most of our goals. She is always saying that there is only one person in control of your life, and that is you. You can’t always be depending on others to show you the right way to go. You can’t be looking at other people for the way to go, you can do that to get on a path, but once you are on that path it’s all up to you. If you try to follow others after that, you can ruin everything for yourself.

Now I set goals all the time. They are not big ones. They are goals like, “I will get my homework done tonight.” I have realized now that you don’t set big goals like to go to collage and not do anything to get there. You have to do the little things, and that is what counts. You can’t go through life setting long-term goals only; you won’t get anywhere if you do that. You have to strive toward that long-term goal everyday.