Elizabeth - Charlottesville, Virginia

The Importance of Being Awesome (Or at Least Believing You Are)

I wouldn’t call it a superiority complex. No, I’m not narcissistically mesmerized by my reflection in every shiny object I see, nor do I identify with Raskolnikov’s sick, self-classification as extraordinary. It’s more of a conscious recognition of my fortune in circumstance and an embracement of the boundless opportunities that are invariably connected. In short, if Darwin’s Theory of Evolution holds true, then I was derived from a pretty awesome primate.

Some would call it luck. Maybe part of it is, but more of it is my ability to capitalize on my awesome qualities. It’s one thing to believe you’re awesome—it’s another to act awesomely. I live in a supportive, loving environment with amazing friends and family, and I’m a talented young adult with a bright future. I would be hard-pressed to find something about my situation or myself that I’d want to change. If perfection were possible, my life would be close to perfect. This rich morsel of self-knowledge and recognition of opportunity hasn’t always been something I’ve shared, but it’s nearly always been something I’ve believed. I was always too afraid that sharing my self-confidence with others would make me appear stuck-up or self-centered, but pride, when distinguished from vanity, is something to be proud of! So here goes: I believe, and I’ve always believed, that I will be successful in life because I’m awesome—but more importantly because I know I’m awesome. I won’t waste my life on feelings of self-doubt or –hatred, and I will always appreciate my good fortune in circumstance. With self-respect and an acknowledgement of good fortune, I can’t even imagine a situation in the future where I won’t be successful…”Boredom” isn’t even a word in my vocabulary; I can always retreat to my awesome thoughts. Creativity plus passion multiplied by hard work plus self respect plus rational thinking cannot equal failure. It’s mathematically impossible.

For me, my assured happiness is equivalent to inevitable success, and my goal is to reach as high a level of happiness as possible. There are obvious steps I can take that will increase my happiness (and awesomeness, too). Helping others gives me as much satisfaction as the people I’m helping. My primate ancestors likely enjoyed picking fleas off of others’ backs because of the act’s mutual benefit. (Luckily, these flea-picking festivities [although not the idea behind them] have been ironed out in the evolutionary process…) The joy in being loved and the ability to make others feel loved are also happiness-boosters. Love can’t be blind, because it makes one see more clearly.

I am awesome. My awesomeness springs from my family, my supportive environment, my numerous opportunities, self-confidence, and of course my awesome ancestral primates. Part of what makes me awesome is my recognition that other people have as wonderful a life as I do. You might be thinking, “How can that girl be better than me if I share many of the same advantages and have an equally ‘sweet life’?” Well, you’re right. You’re awesome, too.