Hardships Only Make You Stronger

John - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: change, death, family

Every single person struggles from time to time, but after we endure through the hard times we come out stronger and better as a person and this is what I believe.

Three years ago I was a sophomore at Farragut High School and I did not have a care in the world. I was just living in the moment and enjoying everything while it lasted. One day while I was at school in gym class a teacher approached me and said I was needed in the office. Up to that point I had never been called to the principles office so I knew something was up. I just had a gut feeling that something was terribly wrong. The secretary in the office told me that I was needed at home and my mom needed my help. All of this sounded really weird and everything was not alright. As I pull up to my house there was seven or eight cars parked in the street, and right then I knew that this was going to be a life changing experience. Once I walk in the house I am approached by some of my parent’s really good friends, and they told me what happened.

They told me that my father had a life ending heart attack while teaching a seminar in Kentucky. He was giving a lecture to Lexington’s top emergency personnel, so he was in the best possible scenario to need medical care, but they said they could do nothing to help.

My father was a bio chemical engineer who specialized in what to do if a nuclear bomb went off. We were really close. We did everything together and there was not a day that went by they we didn’t hang out and have fun together. He was only 54 years old and I can only imagine what it would be like to be with him now.

My mother and I are not the same after this event. Every single day we think of him and know he is watching over us every second. I have become more mature and my out look on life has changed drastically. Before all I cared about was me and now I care more about my affect upon other. I feel that any second can be your last so make the best of it. This is what I believe.