Leonardo - Auburn, Washington

Everyone has his or her own way to live healthy. As for me, my way is eating nutritious food for my daily meals. I believe it really can help me to live in the proper way. So I believe in eating healthy food.

My parents are the ones that introduced me to this belief. They always eat nutritious food as their lifestyle. They said nutritious food can help us to prevent any disease and make us stronger at old ages. They did not force me, but they always encouraged me to eat healthy food. Even my mother always calls me to remind me about eating healthy food; she also always reminds me to take food supplements twice a day.

When I was young, my parents were used to controlling my food intake and always encouraged me toward healthier eating habits. They wanted me to eat dinner at home as a family, since my mother’s meals were largely made up of fruits and vegetables. They also brought me to dinner at a restaurant on weekend with them. Sometimes, they involved me in meal planning and preparation.

In addition, my mother used to stock up food at our home. I always liked to eat everything that is available at home. So my parents came up with the idea to stock up in healthy food. She used to buy lots of fruits, yogurts, and cheeses.

The reason my mother did everything above was to encourage me to eat healthy food all the time. Once in a while, she allowed me to eat fast food and drink soda; however, if I ate fast food for my lunch and dinner, she would get angry, especially if I was drinking soda instead of water daily. She said those kind of things were considered junk food and not good for my well-being. When I was young, it is obvious I did not realize how important to eat healthy food was and drank water daily. Nevertheless now, I understand what my mother was saying that healthy food always contains the 4 groups that we need for our bodies, which are carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and fats (I try to eat foods containing these nutrients everyday); I also know that water is important, since most of our body consists of water.

Even though, now I do not live with my parents, I still believe in eating healthy food. It has become my lifestyle, especially because my parents eating healthy still. Moreover, I am starting to enjoy the benefits of a healthy lifestyle as the days go on.