A - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

Living in the Present

Each day should be lived as if it were my last. Everyday that I live in the past, I lose the chance of doing things I enjoy. Living in the past will limit my growth. If I continue to have my thoughts in the past, I will not think of my future. I believe that the past is behind me, and I cannot change what has happened, but I can choose my future. Living in the future will increase my emotional rate of growth. Living in the present is the best place to have my state of mind. I have had many bad days in my past, and, whenever these events are brought forward in my mind, I am saddened. I spend time sulking instead of moving forward and enjoying the time I have today.

Living one day at a time is a good way to not live in the past. I try to balance the present and the future. Looking too far forward into the future can cause me to forget to live and enjoy each moment. Each day I work hard in school to better my chances at having a good future, but, sometimes, I forget to enjoy my time at school. Because of this, I miss chances to have fun and spend time with friends. I love the days when all I have to worry about is what I am doing that day, such as Thanksgiving Day. During Thanksgiving, I don’t think about my past or my future. I believe that on this day I can stop and be thankful for what I have. I can enjoy the things I have today and not worry about tomorrow.

To plan my future I don’t look ten years ahead. I set goals to where I want to be two or three years from today. To me this is still considered the present because a five-year time span is my present time or today. This may seem to most people the future, but to me the future is a time that I have no idea what will happen. Therefore, I don’t know what will happen tomorrow; I only know what might happen today.