Olga - Beltsville, Maryland

I believe in family. The sense of family is very important, especially in our present world where so many divorces occur, and it’s not fun for children to leave in a broken family. When a divorce happens, it’s not as harmful to adults as for children.

When I was about 13, my parents decided to get divorced. Even though I never seen any big fights or arguments between them, one day my mom told me:”Me and your father are getting a divorce. You are going to live with your father and your brother is going to live with me.” I remember I was devastated by her statement. I was old enough to understand what was going on, and how my life is going to be. I knew it’s going to be empty, with equally spending time between my parents. All I was thinking was how they can do it to their children. How come nothing worked out between my parents? I was crying and I didn’t want to live only with my father. I needed my mom every day, and I needed my brother as well.

Fortunately, nothing bad or wrong happened to me or my brother, and we grew up fine. So many times I hear that children of divorced parents take a wrong path in their lives and it’s very stressful for some children. Even though I grew up fine, I always think about my parents’ divorce and why it happened. Being a parent and a wife myself, I constantly think that the divorce can be avoided. All the problems me and my husband have as a couple, I think can be resolved, so our problems won’t become our son’s problems. I don’t want my son to suffer the consequences of his parents. I believe in family because family is a very important link in our society, and it brings happiness, closeness and love in our lives.