H. - Napoleon, Ohio

My Road is My Faith

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” James 1: 2-3

My belief stems from this scripture. My faith in God is the only way I have survived during many of my trials and tribulations. Every trying situation has tested my faith in ways that have pushed me to the limit, in ways where I wanted to mutilate every being in my immediate path. Then, I actually looked at the situation and prayed about the outcome. In time, all the aspects of the problem were taken care of because I used my faith and God had given me what I needed. At the end of every struggle, my faith developed into something I hold dear. Time after time of tears and struggles, my faith grew more powerful and gave me perseverance and hope.

Being seventeen years old, older generations look at me like I have no idea what the world is about, that I have everything easy. It is difficult because people look at me as though I’m a child; I have very little respect from anyone. After I turned seventeen, I used my entire savings to buy my car from my sister. What I didn’t realize was that I also had to pay for the title to be switched to my name, the license plates, and my first payment of insurance. Months later, I still owe my sister, and recently my car broke down, and, being unexpected, my mom had to pay for the repairs and now I also owe her. The tires on my car need replaced, my battery is weak, and three of the four shocks need replaced. I am living month to month. I have a steady paycheck, but, with all my debts and expenses in the back of my mind, my brain is in extreme disarray and completely chaotic. I need some support. My wall of faith is wavering, and I need someone to tell me everything will turn out okay, not to get used to the life I am dealing with now.

A couple days ago, I began looking at my situation. My payments cannot be taken care of right now. I understand that in time, I have to pay them with the money I am earning at work. I look forward to a day when I can cross one more item off my list. I know those days will come abundantly, but I also know they may take time. I have faith God will provide me with the strength and patience I need to make it through this. Faith, in itself, lifts all the weight off my shoulders. That’s one more objective crossed off my list, and it feels amazing.

H. Deming