His Name Was Gabriel

Annmarie - Bremerton, Washington

Have you ever met someone and knew they were special? There was a connection and knew you were destined to be friends forever. They are here to help me or I’m supposed to help them. I believe with certain people there is a particular purpose for our encounter, there is a specific reason why our paths have crossed.

Here is a story of one of those people; he came into my life magically, taught his lesson, and disappeared as quickly as he appeared.

I went to church and prayed;” Is this where I was supposed to be?” I said “Amen.”, got up, and left the room. My prayer was answered. A stranger appeared in front of me; he smiled, shook my hand, and introduced himself. I’ll call him Gabriel. His love for God sparkled in his eyes and I felt that underlying connection. This was the beginning of our friendship.

I didn’t have anyone to talk to about what was going on with me. After a couple weeks we started emailing each other. Gabriel was sent to help me. You might think he was doing what he was called to do, as a pastor, and you would be right. Yet, trust in people is an issue for me and I simply don’t trust people. In a few months we were able to break down the barriers I put up. I began to trust both him and God.

One day the pain I felt, outgrew my fear of people. I emailed Gabriel in desperation; I was ashamed of what I was about to tell him. I had started “Cutting” again. I wanted to stop but didn’t know how. With every word the tears flowed uncontrollably, I was typing words and didn’t know what I wrote. I finished, pushed send, and let it go. His reply came quicker than usual. He told me; “Hooray Annmarie! That might seem strange with what you just told me but let me explain.” He said I was ready to trust God, trust people, and believe that there is a purpose as to why certain people are sent into our lives.

This was a total God thing because as I read Gabriel’s email I discovered he could

relate to me. He told me things about him and I no longer felt alone or ashamed.

We walked through my issues; when I hurt I accepted it and quit cutting on myself. I built a relationship with people and more importantly with God. We assembled a set of spiritual tools and I was on the road to recovery. With the help of Gabriel, God and myself I learned to “Let go and Let God.”

I wanted to show my appreciation and that is why I wrote about our encounter. This

story isn’t for me; it is for Gabriel. I’ll remember the lessons I learned from him for the rest of my life. “Thank you Gabriel, for giving to the Lord.” He was special but it was the love of God I seen in his eyes that made me really believe; certain people come into our lives for some purpose to be served and there definitely is a reason why our paths crossed.