Megan - Maryland Heights, Missouri

Sticks and Stones

Being called a faggot, gay, and queer are bad, right? I am called these names on a daily basis. It’s because I’m “different” since I like boys and girls. I find the words very hurtful and they can break a persons’ soul. You’re words could be the reason for a cutter, a depressed kid, or someone who self medicates with drugs.

Cutters are found to feel alone, or empty, in a world brimming with people. I was one of these for the longest time, because of kids picking on me. It was so painful and made me feel hollow. I was told to, “fix” myself, or to think “happy” thoughts. Being a different person caused me more pain than I thought it would. Words can break a person’s soul into a million pieces and crush it into a fine pulp. Faggot is NOT a funny word to be messing around with.

Gay is slang for the term stupid, or just plain dumb. The term is now used to demean homosexuals and bisexuals. It is known as bisexuals and homosexuals are “bad”, or, less of a person. I think it’s the exact opposite, it makes them more of a person. So no names can stop me from being who I am. Being called Gay is not fun/funny, especially to a bisexual person.

I used to self medicate to get used to the pain, of the words of peers. The worst years of my life are yet to come, I can tell, but my parents who understand me. I have loving family that will protect me, from all the harsh words. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me, is a lie.