Haylee - North Logan, Utah
Themes: forgiveness

Throughout my life, I’ve had many family situations in which someone was asked to forgive another for something that had offended them along the path of their lives. But forgiveness has always resulted in an unresolved issue ever since I can remember. Who knew it would be something that would control my grandma for the majority of her life.

My grandma is a slender five-foot-one lady who you would assume was a sweet, gentle, forgiving soul. This is completely true, but Grandma has always struggled with her siblings who she feels have treated her in an undesirable way, which has considerable truth. But one thing that has always surprised me about my grandma is that no matter how many attempts her sisters have made to settle these unresolved issues, and asked for forgiveness, Grandma has not been willing to ever accept such apologies.

Family reunions we rarely attend. Funerals and events you “have” to attend have always been filled with awkward meetings and high emotions. There is a constant fight in the air without anyone having to say anything. The contention hovers in the air, it’s seems like such a small simple thing but this feeling has always lingered.

I don’t understand the whole story of what disputes my grandma and her siblings have encountered but I see the unhappiness my grandma expresses when she is with her siblings. I have always thought, why not just forgive them? Your relationship would be healthier and could be easily worked out, if both parties could just try. I believe that you should forgive, but if you don’t the burden later lies on you.

I believe in the power and happiness of forgiveness. I see my grandma and how unhappy her relationship has become with her siblings. This is a result of her unwillingness to forgive. But I believe that if she could just put those feelings of resentment aside, and accept such apologies, she could develop those unhappy emotions into warm, loving ones. I believe in the power of happiness through forgiving, it could make all the difference.