Tifina - Brooklyn, New York

Tifina Sebili

This I believe: Being yourself

I believe in being myself. I was about 5 years old when my mom put me in ballet, and I hated it. It just wasn’t me. At such a young age my mom was living her dream, every mom would want to have their daughter to grow up to be a ballerina. But not me, I waited everyday after my ballet class just to watch through the glass window the karate class. It hit me then and their that, that is what I wanted to become. I told my mom that not to break her heart but I wanted to do karate. From that point on to 7 years later I was still doing karate and I became what I wanted to do become a black belt. Even though I had to live through those stereotypes of being “a man” because only men and Asian people did it apparently, I didn’t care.

You should be who you are, and whatever that may be you should accept it. Being yourself is all about how comfortable you are with sharing out and presenting yourself through whatever that may be. Whether a sport or the clothes you wear, to the books you read and the way you write. All of this has a part of you in it. All glory comes from daring to begin. From the day that you were born everything started off with you. It’s always easier to live through someone else than to become complete with yourself. It’s about how you feel and your confidence in bringing out your attitude and your opinions to help improve your individuality. Everyone has a place in this world and there will be that one thing that makes you stand out from everyone else. Letting who you are, what you are, and what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, and every piece you finish.

‘It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.’

– Aristotle.