Chelsea - Scottsdale, Arizona

Sometimes it is rough to enjoy working with different people, but like a weathered stone in a canyon is polished by water and rain, their roughness can polish you as a person. A few years ago, my family had a foreign exchange student from Spain come to live with us. When she first arrived, I didn’t like her because we were so different, but as I began to understand who she was and how she thought, I learned to enjoy her humor and rely on her for advice and friendship.

We had many petty arguments, but because we lived and went to school together, we learned that whenever we had problems we had to communicate right away in order to prevent explosive arguments that took days to resolve. In spite of my reluctance to like her, she won me over with her enthusiasm for life and for loving others. She taught me how to love everyone selflessly through her example with a zest that I had never seen before. She also taught me how to relax and let go of my pride and inhibitions. We began to develop a deep bond of friendship that steadily grew and because of her I became a happier and emotionally healthier person.

I learned that people come into our lives for reasons that only God knows about, but when we let them into our lives, they leave their fingerprints on our hearts and we are forever changed. I believe that one person can make a difference. I am not saying that one person could solve world hunger or global warming single-handedly, but that one person through their example can change somebody else’s life. I am a much better person because somebody chose to show me what love truly is.