Lucas - Altamont, Kansas
Themes: pleasure

I believe in taking life one step at a time. It is imperative not to run through life, or all of the blessings that life can bring will seem to soar on by. A while back, I was playing basketball for my high school team, and nothing appeared to be going in the right direction. Our team had a losing record, and I just wanted the season to be over. At one of the practices, I watched some of my teammates run through drills waiting in line to do the same drills myself. Every muscle in my body ached, and I didn’t want to move another inch. I felt thousands of tiny, little rubber bumps rub against my sweaty hand as I held the basketball by my side. I started dribbling the ball, and the more I heard the echo from the ball thumping against the ground, the more I wanted basketball to be over with. A while later, the coach huddled everyone in at mid-court. With spit flying from his mouth, his passionate yell was filled with words that warned each player that the season would go by too fast. At the time I didn’t believe him. Thinking back on it now, I realize that it was a mistake to rush through that part of my life. It is also necessary to keep putting one foot out in front of the other while walking. I have found that when I don’t put one foot out in front while I’m walking, I fall flat on my face. Any one-year-old baby figures that out pretty quickly after a few falls. Although I still fail to put one foot out in front in my walk through life now, my face doesn’t break my fall anymore. For example, just last week I decided to put off all of my homework until the last minute. My choice to procrastinate caused me great stress. I had to write two papers over topics I didn’t know anything about, and I had plenty of math problems to do on top of that. I became stressed out with the amount of homework I had to get done. I had caused myself to fall right on my face. I rushed through the assignments wondering if I was even doing them correctly. I knew that I should have done them earlier. All of this chaos was caused by my stupidity and inability to keep stepping forward. Even though I will probably stumble a few more times in life and occasionally rush through life, I have learned that it is better to take one step at a time and enjoy the ride.