A Creature Of New Habits

Derek - San Diego, California

I’m a creature of habit. I resist change. Change means things will be different. Different means things will be uncomfortable. And I’m a creature of habit.

Observing the habits of my dad as I grew up, it was pretty obvious that we fit the mold, “like father, like son.” My dad too is a creature of habit. Go to work. Come home. Watch TV. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. And life goes on uneventfully, nothing really to complain about, but more importantly nothing to get excited about. Then something would happen…a family vacation. And the man turns into a daredevil, an explorer, an adventurer. I’ve never seen him more alive and excited as he shoots down a zip line or horsebacks along the beach, and I realized I’m the same way. It takes us a thousand miles from home to try something new. And whether I loved it or hated it, I never regretted it.

Then it’s back home again and I completely stop trying new things. Unfortunately, I’m missing out on the unknown because I am content being comfortable and it’s easy to ignore the unknown because you don’t know what it is you are missing. Well after years of comfort I strongly feel a need to take on the awkward, the unknown, and barrel down a path of change.

I believe new experiences are an integral part of both happiness and the progression of self-development. I stopped being shy and after several awkward social situations, I found the rewards of the new friendships I made far outweighed the awkwardness. I’m trying new hobbies, some I love and some I hate, but having experienced them I feel more accomplished. And I’m ready to quit my job for no other reason than the compulsion to experience a different one.

Will I fall into the stagnant comfort zone again? Absolutely. But I will dig deep and take that next “unknown” head on and let the chips fall where they may. And I’ll pick them up and put them in my experience bank because I’m done just rolling through life. I’m ready to experience it.