Keun Pyo - Moraga, California

I believe that an open ear and an open mind is the best way for a person to truly become “intelligent.” For the longest time, I believed that I was always right, and only admitted that I was wrong when I was forced into a position where all reason, whether logical or illogical, could not defend me. I immediately attacked anyone who dared defy me and closed myself from their “inferior” reasoning; after all, I was the “smart” kid with the straight A’s and a big bloated head that blew off steam wherever I went. I trampled on people feelings, and because of this, I lost many chances to make valuable friends. During that time period, I never knew how lonely I was, mostly because had I convinced myself that it didn’t matter if I didn’t have many friends. I had closed myself off from other people, but I thought that as long as I was the best, who cared?

My thoughts slowly changed as I entered high school and lost my streak of brilliance. No longer able to rely on it to get through my loneliness, I learned the importance of considering other people’s feelings.

I learned about the wonders of helping others get through their own troubles, to be able to say “I am here for you,” while truly meaning it. I learned that listening to someone instead of putting up my own opinion to be reveled at not only creates a feeling of deeper mutual understanding, but also a joy of learning a person’s likes and dislikes. I learned the immensely diverse array of personalities and points of views on each and every subject and the connection felt between two people trying to understand each other. Most of all, I learned to humble myself, by stepping aside and letting other people take the limelight.

I still have a lot to learn and a far way to go before I can truly be open minded and open eared. And there are times when I want to be in control and am uncertain of what to do. But one thing’s for sure, I know that intelligence isn’t about taking everything you can get and augmenting yourself, it’s about giving everything you have and being a support for others.