Jennifer - Worcester, Massachusetts

I believe in hard work. Hard work is something that everyone has to do at some point so that they can accomplish their goals. I think that when a goal is accomplished a great sense of pride can be felt. Feeling proud is important not only to self-esteem, but also to how people perceived by others. Playing lacrosse proved to me that working hard is what will make me reach my goals.

My freshman year of high school I tried out for lacrosse. It was completely new to me and I wasn’t sure if I could actually do it. The worst that would happen was that I would get cut, and I did. It was upsetting that I pushed myself so hard during tryouts and did not see my name on the list. I truly did fall in love with the sport in the short week that I had been playing.

I became the manager, and from then on I went to every practice and learned the game. By the end of the season I played on the same level as the other girls. I learned an entire sport in a short season by pushing myself in practice, even though I didn’t have to. Sophomore year I went to tryouts fully prepared, but nervous. When the list was posted, my name was once again no where to be found. I was devastated and embarrassed; all of the work that I put in seemed to go unrecognized and insignificant.

A few weeks later the team captain asked me to come back and play for the JV team. I was unsure about whether I should come back or be done with all of my meaningless effort. I went for it. I had a great season and really improved my skills. As a junior I became a starting player on JV and helped the team to come in second place at the JV Tournament.

My senior year I had to make varsity. I made it but I felt like I wasn’t on the same level as the others and figured that I would not see a minute of playing time. As the season went on I felt myself gaining more skill and earned a starting spot in the lineup. My coach who intimidated me even during preseason was proud of me. She said, “Good game,” and commented on how hard I worked. All of my hard work had finally paid off. I pushed myself to the brink and gained the respect of my peers and coaches by doing so. I went from being cut from the team to a starting varsity player.

For four years I committed myself to working hard and to making myself into a good lacrosse player. At the end of senior year my coach gave me the “Most Improved” award. I felt so accomplished in all that I had done. Lacrosse taught me that as long as I work hard I can reach all of my goals.