For Good Reason

Amanda - San Diego, California

I believe that everything happens for a reason. When I was 17 years old I took a trip to Santa Cruz with my friends to party on the beach. We partied all night long. I was young and still thought that I could do anything I wanted, without repercussions. Early the next morning, my four friends got into my car and I got behind the wheel. I didn’t feel sober, but I felt like I could drive, and I just wanted to get home. We hadn’t been on the highway more than a few minutes when I got rear-ended and we all ended up in the hospital.

I was trying to think of what the reason for this happening would be; it seemed so unfair, but I knew there had to be one. After the bruises healed, I concluded that the accident must have been the lesser of two evils. Perhaps if we had continued down the winding highway after partying all night, a worse accident could have claimed us. With this thought in mind, I am thankful for being rear-ended. Every day I see the scar on my forehead and am reminded of the accident, and think that good can come from every situation.

I still get upset in bad situations. In the heat of the moment it is very hard to justify bad things happening and reason that there is something good that will come from it. It is so easy to get wrapped up in being sad or angry, and not see the light at the end of the tunnel. To help myself handle these situations I try to remember that good things will come from the bad, because I believe that everything does happen for a reason. Sometimes it is hard to determine exactly how an occurrence can be beneficial. Simply believing that there is something to be learned from it is what helps me. Whether one believes that that reason was predetermined by a higher power, or that all change will inevitably provide some sort of favorable result, is up to them. Either way, I feel life is easier when all situations can be looked at in a positive light by believing that everything does happens for a reason.