A Conduit of the Divine

Stephanie - Omaha, Nebraska

I wouldn’t say that my father is a particularly religious man, but for years, he has been an ardent believer in the power of a pocket angel and has seen to it that each of his three daughters is in constant supply of this unique piece of metal with a raised whisper of an angel on its front.

I had a spare pocket angel or two and had recently been giving them to people who really needed them. The last time I gave one away was about a week and a half ago. A co-worker’s mother was struggling with lung cancer; one day I found an angel in the pocket of my rain coat and decided to give it to her. She wasn’t in her office so I laid it on her chair and forgot about it.

Today I went down for a report and learned that the prognosis for her mother is getting worse by the day. As she was telling me this, I debated whether or not to claim my act or to let it go on forever as anonymous. I decided that I didn’t want her to think I hadn’t been thinking about her, so told her. I will never forget what happened next.

She leaped out of her chair and threw her arms around me and started to cry. Her mother went in for surgery last Monday to have the bottom 1/4 of her lung removed. Half way through the surgery, the doctors came out to talk to the family; the cancer was so bad that they had to either take the entire lung or sew her up and make her as comfortable as possible during her last days of life.

As the father was struggling to make the decision, my friend slipped the pocket angel into his hand and said, “Here, you really need this right now.” Who knows if it helped him make the decision or not, but my friend said to me, “There really was an angel in that room.” I started to cry myself.

We are all givers or receivers of pocket angels in life. Your pocket angel might not be of the metal sort like mine, but I know there has been a time when you have given someone the strength to stand or have needed the hand someone extended to you. It is impossible to predict where the angel might come from – whether from a close and trusted friend, or from a perfect stranger. What is important is that you allow yourself to be a conduit of the divine when called upon to do so. This is what I believe.