This I Believe: War is Tragic, yet Inevitable

Carolanne - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: war

In the current society, I feel plagued with talk of war. Many blindly speak of waging wars on unsuspecting countries, but I do not think that they completely understand the meaning of war. Media propaganda is telling us that wars will solve our problems. Other countries threaten the United States with war. I believe that although countries cannot avoid war, their citizens can understand that war is tragic, not triumphant.

When some one thinks of war, what comes to mind? When I think of war, I see horrible pictures. I see children stuck inside their homes because it is too dangerous to go outside and play. I see a wife kneeling on the floor, praying for her husband’s safe return. I see a mother weeping uncontrollably at the news of a fallen soldier, her son. Does anyone else see these images of war? Why do we speak so nonchalantly about war?

First, I believe that war is inevitable. Wars have been fought as far back in history as historians can find. There will never be a time when so many countries can live together in unity with no head butting or disagreements. Different regions and cultures of the world will always clash. Although I would love to live in a unified world, that thought is only a dream; war is inevitable.

However, this fact does not change the tragedy of war. War means the slaying of innocent people. War means families without homes and loved ones. War means total devastation. So tragic are these realities. I believe that war should be avoided at all costs.

I will never live to see a unified world. However, I can only dream of a place where my children and grandchildren can live peacefully. Until then, everyone should understand war and how it affects lives. War is tragic, yet inevitable; this I believe.