Jake - Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

I believe without nature there’s no man. I always thought nature wasn’t important, until I was ten.

When I was ten, I went to a party. I won a fish. When I got it, I thought what am I going to do with it? How am I ever going to take care of it? So when I got home I did a lot of research about it. I read National Geographic Kids magazines. They had a lot of information on global warming. The more research I did, the more I liked animals.

I learned how animals in the rainforests have no homes because we have to cut them down wastefully. How oceans are being polluted by man’s waste and careless oil tankers. We can change this easily. By recycling more and using less oil.

Now I love animals so much I want to be a veterinarian. I tell everyone to be nice to animals because they have feelings too. I tell them, “don’t litter”. I yelled to my dad suddenly one day, “STOP! There’s a squirrel in the road!” We almost got in a car accident. It is important to look out for animals when you’re driving. To think, a little Japanese Fighting Fish could show me how to be a hugger of trees.