Miriam - Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

Miriam George, 11

Sherwood Middle School

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

Mrs. Smith

I believe that no one should be discriminated against because of his or her race.

I was told I was different on that day in kindergarten. It all started as a normal day. I got ready and my mom dropped me off. In the middle of the day, Meghan approached me. I was expecting her to ask me to play dress up with her, but instead she said loud enough for everyone to hear, “I’m not inviting you to my birthday party!”

“Why?” I asked her, a little hurt at her rudeness.

“Because you’re black,” she answered, as though it was plain to see. The teacher came over to scold Meghan, but it was no use. She had already said the words, and there was no taking them back. Until then, I didn’t think anything was wrong with the color of my skin. I knew it was different than most other people, but no one, including me had cared.

As I grew older, the discrimination got less, but some people couldn’t accept the fact that just because my skin was a different color, I thought, breathed, and felt just like them.

I began going to a different school where there were kids of many different shades and ethnicities. I have friends who are black-haired, blue- eyed, olive-skinned, tall, and short. But in the hallways, there’s always that one kid that gets picked on or bullied because of his or her clothes, skin color, or intellect, and every time I see this, I think of that day in kindergarten- the day that my perspectives changed immensely, all because a girl couldn’t accept me the way I was.