Kim - Reno, Nevada
Themes: courage, family, hope

One Life to Live

I believe life moves at a rate that you cannot control. I believe in greeting everyday with a smile. I believe in living life to the fullest and in the moment because it goes by too fast to make mistakes.

Most people would say for a fifteen year old my life is not easy, that maybe I should envy people. But, the truth is I love my life. I may not be the richest person in the world and I may not have all the luxuries as most people, but I will not let that make me feel ill-content with my life.

I first started to think about this not to long ago, it actually all came to me as I was reading Angela’s Ashes this past summer. Now, there is no doubt in my mind that Frank McCourt has a tough life, but the way that he looked as his problems made his life that much worse. Problems in life make you a strong person. They help with future decisions and really teach about the life you will want to lead. His family though, I must say had to overcome many more obstacles then the average family do in a life time, but I believe that their lives were governed by all that went wrong they had no chance to look at the bright side, that at least they had each other, which is so cliché. For example, Angela, his mother, moped and I understand that she lost three kids, but she couldn’t realize that she had three beautiful ones left that needed her. She wasn’t a mom, she envied the lives of those who had it better then she did. I think that if you chose to be a significant figure in someone else’s life, then you should make and effort to be in it because you’re not only affecting yourself.

All of this made me think of my mom, so I started watching her. Everyday she puts on a smile for me and my brother. She formed my belief. Right in front of my eyes it was there the whole time. If she can put a smile on her face everyday after losing our house and car in these past two years, then why do I throw a fit if I can’t go see a movie on Friday. If I can’t go to the movies on Friday, then I can’t go. She really has taught me to get over the little thing and get on with life; it goes by to fast to waste a second. You only have one life to live, so do it your way, no highway option. Don’t let the little disappointments get in your way of doing what you want to do. I’m not saying ignore them because tough stuff helps you grow. I’m saying learn from them, then live and let leave. I believe if all life was lived with the same outlook, then maybe life would become a lot easier.