Brandon - Commerce Twp., Michigan

They say that when you’re older, one is lucky to be able to count their good friends on one hand. I never really understood what people meant by this. How could this be? I always figured that the more friends you had the luckier you were. Many experiences later I realized exactly what people meant by this. I believe that the quality of your friends is more valuable than the quantity you have. I can count my true friends on one hand. I consider myself a lucky one. I know the ones that I have chosen as friends are there for a reason. They have shown loyalty in ways that some people will never understand.

I know kids in our school who are considered to be popular. They have a swarm of so called friends around them everywhere they go. Everyone has looked at them at least one time in their life and wished that they were them. You have probably also noticed the kid that sits with one or two people at lunch and have probably felt sorry for him or her. Those same kids that were pitied are still hanging on to those friends, while the bigger circles of friends have broken up for one reason or another. A lot of these people who hang out really don’t know each other too well. How many know their friend’s secrets or dreams? How about their favorite food or color? How many have been able to let there guard down and just act like themselves, not trying to prove anything? That’s where quality comes in over quantity when choosing your friends.

I am lucky for my handful of friends because they know the real me. I don’t have to pretend that I’m someone I’m not. They not only accept my strengths but they accept my weaknesses. I am not judged by them. They would have my back in a second. It’s almost like a secret club where there are unwritten rules on how to treat each other. I may be able to count my friends on just one hand but I can count on them. This I believe.