Vanessa - Reno, Nevada

I believe that music is an international language and a beautiful thing that makes the world a better place.

Although everyone may not speak the same languages music is something everyone can understand, it can make anyone feel certain emotions and it allows you to connect on a different level with certain situations or cultures around you. Music, no matter what kind has this incredible ability to create memories and remember old ones as well.

I always knew that I loved music and I always knew that it would be important in my life. It allows me to feel, love and express myself in many ways.

Many years ago I remember a critical steppingstone in my life and it was created by music. I remember sitting on my dad’s warm leather seats in his car and hanging my hand out of the window as I felt the wind dancing through my fingers and the blistering sun shine down on my young rosy face. It was at that time that I created my first memory of a song having the ability to change how I felt. I can’t remember where we were coming from or where we were going but I just remember seeing my dad cry for the first time in my life. I kept asking him what was wrong but all he could say was that I was too young to understand and that he would tell me later. As we sat in silence I began to weep, wishing that me, the most important thing in his life could make him feel better. We continued to sit in silence and I felt helpless, I wanted to help my hero in a time in need but I couldn’t, I then reached for the radio and turned the stations. As I was flipping through and I heard a beautiful melody flow out of the speakers all around the car and all my father said was, “Leave it here.” As I pulled my hand away from the radio I turned and look at his face, and he was smiling. Then I began to smile back at him and he said to me, “This song always reminded me of your grandma, she was a wonderful woman, and I wish you would have known her.”

At that point in my life I knew that a simple thing such as a song can change everyone’s mood and create ultimate happiness, this I believe.