Sina - Brookfield, Wisconsin
Themes: work

I believe anything worth doing is worth working hard at. While certain activities may be demanding, life is too short to spend it pursuing endeavors I don’t enjoy. Doing the things I take pleasure in has helped me lead a happier life. Of course there are times when the process is frustrating, but why do something that doesn’t challenge me? When participating in any kind of activity, my satisfaction is derived from the struggles I overcome.

I played competitive soccer up through the beginning of college. Each club season began with fitness practices in the January cold of Wisconsin. Twice a week for an hour and a half we ran up and down an icy sledding hill and twice a week for an hour and a half we cursed our coach. “What the hell are we doing out here running up a hill in the freezing cold?” was a common question. Our bodies begged for heat, our legs burned, and our lungs cried for air, but we still found a way to have fun. We constantly made jokes and poked fun at people, had snowball fights, slid down the icy slope on our backsides, and we eventually became a team. We took what was an otherwise miserable time and made the most of it: we bonded as a team, became incredibly fit, and in the end won two state championships in three years. In retrospect, the time spent on the hill resulted in some very entertaining and memorable moments that I won’t soon forget. We were able to transform our grueling practices into on-the-field enjoyment and success.

My point is this: there may be tough and frustrating times along the way, but if you are doing something you take pleasure in, the end results are well worth it. Our soccer practices were some of the most physically demanding times I’ve been a part of, but because soccer was my passion, I didn’t mind. If we choose to be a part of something we enjoy, we can create a more positive life for ourselves. This, I believe.