K - Napoleon, Ohio

Family; it is such a simple word, but yet it is something that everyone has. Everyone in life has someone that they can call family. Whether it is a mother, father, brother, sister, or someone that you can turn to in times of grief or happiness. My family has remained close throughout time. No matter how much pressure it has been put under, it has never broken apart. Even if one member falls for any reason, my family has the ability to stick together and help them get their life straightened back out.

Families can be large or small, but size does not always matter. A bigger family just allows for a greater chance for fallen members to be picked back up. I am proud to say that I have a fairly large family. I am also proud to say that my family is very loving and supportive of the things that I choose to do. I believe that having a family that supports your actions and choices is an important thing in life.

Born with a disease that has confined me to a wheelchair, I knew that I would have to look for something to take up my time other than sports. With all of the members of my family supporting me and telling me that I could do what ever I wanted, I set out to make the most out of my life. I was determined to focus on my academics in school so that I could get a good education and get a job. I am now 17 years old and a senior in high school with a 4.0 GPA and ranked first in my class. Without my family pushing me through the difficult times that come from being in a wheelchair, I probably would not be as well off as I am.

I credit my entire family for helping me get through life, but it is my Mom who has really gotten me through. She does everything for me. She gets me dressed, picks up after me, and also makes sure I eat nice and healthy meals. Without her doing the everyday tasks for me, I would not have even been able to think about going to school.

Throughout high school I have met people that I can call my friends. My friends and I have gotten to know each other fairly well. Even though I spend numerous hours with them and could confide information to them, I know that one day we will go our different ways and not be as close any more. Family, on the other hand, will always be there for me.

Through the good and the bad, my family has never broken apart. They have always been there for me in times of need. This is why I believe that the most important thing in life is family.