P - Centennial, Colorado
Age Group: 65+

I believe that my dog has made me have a better respect for life. Before I got her, I would go around and every insect I would see, I would want to squish and kill. Every time I would find a cricket or pill bug, I would sometimes even stick a pine needle through it and watch it suffer. Every time someone would point out a cool or exotic animal, I wouldn’t care that much and sometimes even want to know what would happen if I cut it open.

One day in August of 2005, this all changed when I got a dog. My family and I went to the Dumb Friends League to see if we wanted a dog. When we were there, instead of thinking about cutting the puppies open, I thought about what it would be like to have one and care for it. We found the perfect puppy and adopted her. At first I did not want to play with the dog and tried to avoid it. After a couple of days, I started to respect the dog and wanted to play with it and take her on walks.

Now, she is two years older and I still want to spent time with her and play. She has not slowed down one bit so I understand that she needs the exercise and so do I. now, I do not kill and skewer bugs but instead I put them in a safer spot away from danger. I do not think about cutting animals open. The only animals I do not like are any time of bee.