Everything Happens for a Reason

Chelsea - Monroe, North Carolina

Growing up life was often difficult at times. Sometimes I wondered does everything bad happen to me. With parents who were either drinking or doing drugs; I had no one to guide me to tell me with pathway in life I needed to take. Being only eleven years old in the 6th grade trying to raise my infant brother. I was the one who cleaned the house, I was the one who woke up in the middle of the night when he was crying, and I was the one who fed him. I was his mother; at least that’s how I felt.

As I got older things just seemed to get worse. I didn’t give up on my hopes and dreams. I knew that I wanted to make something of myself; I wanted more than what I had now. When I was sixteen I decided to move out. I had been dating my boyfriend for about two years at that point and his family seemed to truly care about me so I moved in with them. I finally found people that supported me with everything that I wanted to do in life. For once I actually got to be a teenager. They believed in me and I believed in myself. My parents and I didn’t talk for a year and a half. It was hard at times but I knew they needed to change their life before I could come back in.

Throughout the next two years my relationship with not only my parents by my boyfriend struggled more. I often times found myself asking what I have to live for. What am I going to get out of this life? One day things changed. My parents started talking to me and changing their life my boyfriend and I got our own place. Things were looking up.

Looking back now being an “adult” I realize that everything I went through only mad me stronger. I now have a great relationship with my parents and my now fiancé. I believe with everything in me that everything I went through in the past has happened for a reason. I believe that because of my past I know that I will be a wonderful mother and wife to my future children and husband. I believe that I wouldn’t know where I would be going without my past. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I know now that if something goes wrong there is only going to be something in the future.