Jordan - Littleton, Colorado

Jordan Hall

You wouldn’t usually think fourth grade as the worst chapter in your life. Elementary school is a time to make friends and enjoy life. However, this isn’t so for my nine-year-old sister, Madison. Maddie- as my family calls her-is the smartest fourth grader that you would ever meet. She is extremely mature for her age, and very mentally strong. She picks up on social activity like a human metal detector and can write a story so interesting that you would forget it was written by a nine-year-old. Yet, she is living the worst chapter in her life this year. It all started out when her best friend decided that Maddie was no longer good enough to sit with her. The two had been going to school together since kindergarten, and obviously, Maddie was crushed. Then things started to go downhill in her schoolwork. Between a teacher who is so stubborn that she won’t let Maddie move from her seat (because her classmates were distracting her-apparently it was too hard to rewrite the seating chart), and a Para-Professional (a person hired to assist a teacher) that rides Maddie’s back like a cowboy on a horse, she really started to suffer in school. She was failing English tests, failing homework, and refusing to set up her homework calendar the way her teachers wanted. Then came the kicker. The class was going on a field trip. Any child whose parents were chaperoning the trip got to pick their groups in front of the class like a draft. Maddie was picked to go into a certain group, but her teacher instantly intervened, because Maddie had to be in the “Special Group” since she has asthma. Joining Maddie in the special group were two girls with other medical conditions, and a poor boy that didn’t get picked by any of the group leaders.

You may wonder why I would tell you all of this. My point is that Maddie is by far the strongest, smartest, and brightest girl in her class, and yet, she is also the least popular and the one who struggles most in academics. She is going through a tough time in her life with her parents divorced, poor grades, and hateful peers, but she is the most intelligent 4th grader that you would meet. This I believe. I believe that people need to realize that it isn’t the test that will matter in the end, but what you gained from life, and what hasn’t killed Maddie has made her stronger. When she emerges from the mountains of trouble and hardship, she will walk into a valley of wisdom, strength, and power.