Kim - Hendersonville, Tennessee
Themes: children

I believe that children at the age of 10 yrs old are far more intelligent than adults. Children have a pure love, trusting heart, they are not persuaded by other’s beliefs and when they believe they do it whole heartedly. I have always heard that if you don’t want to hear the truth you shouldn’t ask a child. I know that they are not as “intelligent” in the real sense of the word, but their belief systems are so simple and true. Not complicated by world views or by what some politician tells them is true. I believe that their hearts and souls are on target more at this time than at any other time of their lives.

My daughter, husband and I were driving to church last week. I was having a conversation with my husband about prayer being taken out of the public schools. We were expressing our angers and concerns about the subject when my 10 yr. old daughter said that children were allowed to pray at school. She said, “they were allowed a moment of silence and that is when they prayed.” She said, “they don’t call it prayer time, but everyone knows what it is for.” I ask her if other students were upset about the moment of silence and she said, “no, if they don’t want to pray they just don’t.”

We as adults are so concerned with who gets to do what and what we call this moment of silence that we have turned into a huge political debate. The children have it all worked out. As my 10 yr. old daughter would say, “If you want to, pray and if you don’t want to don’t.