Moderate Determination

Pei Ying - Ann Arbor, Michigan
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

“Try it again. Never give up until you succeed.” When I was young, I was taught to be determined in that way. However, I grow up to realize that too much determination may lead to harmful decisions.

A few years ago, when I was practicing hard for an upcoming badminton tournament, I slipped on the court and sprained my ankle. Instead of listening to my father’s advice to see a doctor, I insisted on playing. At that time, I strongly believed that I would be able to win that competition if I did not give up but kept trying my best. However, things turned out to be the other way round, as my injury became worse and I could hardly walk. Reluctantly, I followed my father to the hospital; I nearly burst into tears when the doctor told me that I would not be able to play badminton for at least six months. He also mentioned that if I had gotten treatment earlier, the injury would not have been that severe. Not to make the situation worse, I told my school badminton team captain that I had to withdraw from the tournament. To me, it was a harsh reality, but I had no choice but to face it. On the day of the competition, the only thing I could do was sit beside the court and support my teammates.

Weeks passed by, but time did not fade out the disappointment I felt deep inside my heart. However, I gradually understood that the reason behind all these incidents was my wrong decision. I had been pushing myself too hard without considering my own abilities. I was too determined when I was unwilling to give up, even though I was physically unfit to continue playing badminton. Because I was too determined, I got myself into a more serious injury. Therefore, after thoughts and thoughts, I realized that being too determined is not always good.

This incident of me spraining my ankle has greatly influenced my perspective of life. I had never thought of the negative side of determination. Now, I will no longer stretch myself blindly without considering my own ability and chances of success. I will stop being determined if my efforts are not worthwhile. Being too determined will not always lead to success; sometimes, it is just good to be moderate.