Erika - Park City, Utah

This I believe paper

I believe that a simple smile can change your day. I believe that small children can brighten your world. Most of all, I believe in the power of laughter.

People might say that a simple smile cannot turn your day around, and I will not disagree that sometimes it can’t. I know that when I am down, if I see a little child smiling without a care in the world, I can turn my day around.

My Senior English class met at Starbucks one morning; I was in a bad mood. It was early in the morning, I was in class and I didn’t have my coffee because the line was too long. Staring around at everyone in Starbucks I realized how serious people take life and how you can easily stress yourself out by being so serious. Then, I realized I was stuck in that same category.

I turned to my right. Looking up at me was a small boy wearing little red mittens, with big rosy cheeks. He had the most pure and innocent stare. My first instinct was to look away and be irritated; but, for some reason I restrained myself. My day started off bad and now, all of the sudden I felt warm inside. This particular little boy had something on his mind.

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a toy and started playing with it on the ground, laughing, and smiling back up at me. It was then I realized that this little boy has a great power. He has the power of laughter and smile, of being able to turn around my day with something extremely small yet unworldly powerful.

I believe that smiling, laughing, and being completely content with your surroundings can change not only your life, but the people’s around you. I have more influence on my surroundings than I think I do, and something as small as smiling at someone can change their day, or sometimes even their life.