Kyle - Lewes, Delaware
Themes: race

Racial Differences

When first asked to write an essay on something I believe, I thought, “Cool! We can write a paper about anything we believe in!” But after thinking about it further, the topic I’m going to discuss is racism/discrimination. I believe that these issues should die off. It is a problem that happens throughout all races, white, black, Latino, Asian, and many more throughout our country.

Racism is a problem that has been around throughout human history. The actual definition of racism is: “a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race” (Mirram-Webster Online Dictionary). In other words, racism thinking a particular race is superior to another. This idea, is ridiculous and out of line.

Everyone has heard about back in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s when blacks and whites couldn’t even drink from the same fountain. African-Americans were treated horribly and had no rights. Obviously this has changed, but some people’s views have not. As a great man once said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character” (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.). I agree with Dr. Martin Luther King. People shouldn’t be judged or treated different because the color of their skin or their nationality. In my opinion, we are not the ones to judge people anyway.

A more recent racism problem is coming from south of the boarder. You hear a lot of people discriminating and making racist comments about the growing Latino population. This is a major problem that is happening today. People also don’t understand that the reason so many people are migrating to the United States is because it is so great. We have no right to deprive others of our right to freedom. Some may say “Oh well they bring in crime.” This comment is racist and stereotypical. To base an opinion on the actions of a few and accuse a whole race is ridiculous and childish.

Once those who discriminate realize that judging people based on the color of their skin or their country of origin so old fashioned, the world will be a better place. Racism and discrimination are starting to disappear more and more, but it is still there. I think this problem should disappear forever.