A Placid Rumination on Death

William - Boca Raton, Florida
Age Group: 65+
Themes: question

I don’t know whether there’s life after death, whether there’s a place or condition to which one’s spiritual remains might travel.

I do feel very certain that no one on this orb knows that answer.

Despite the existence of hundreds of religions, millions of churches and synagogues, mosques and temples which propose such as fact, as well as billions of people who believe it as absolute truth —– to quote the esteemed Rev. George Gershwin, “It ain’t necessarily so”.

At best (or worst), I’m reasonably certain that all the above is a fanciful notion with a worthy purpose —– i.e., to urge us into “behaving like human beings” towards one another.

Obviously, it doesn’t always work and, in fact, all too often has a completely opposite effect.

But it is possible for us skeptics to buy fully the behavioural message without necessarily being bribed to do so by the afterlife promise or threat.

If there’s a god/goddess/godhead, we expect much of it: power and might perhaps a given, but kindness, generosity, forgiveness would make him/her/it truly godly.