Tawni - Columbus, Ohio
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

My Belief: Foster Care Is Better If

I believe that children under the age eighteen, should be in foster care,

if their parents do not treat them right and/or do not take care of the child. I

think I am better of in foster care and here are some reasons why.

It all started when my mom took me to court for unruliness. But the

judge dropped the unruly charges that was against me because she did not

believe I was being unruly.

Instead the judge and franklin county children services got my mom

for neglect and child abuse. The reason for this was because she did not have

food in the house and she has bad sense of men.

I was about fifteen when I entered foster care. I did not like being in

foster care at first, but now I think I am better off in foster care than with my

parents.

Well, the reason I do not want to go back with my mom is because she

can not keep a job, live in one place, and she can not stay with only one

man.

The reason why I do not want to live with my dad is because he can

not stay sober, and when he is not sober I do not feel comfortable around

him.

In foster care I live with a family that cares about me and loves me.

They live in one place, they always have a job, the couple is married and has

three children, and they stay sober. The family treats me as I am apart of the

family. I am not treated different.

Although I do not get to do as much as other children my age, that is outside of foster care, I get to be with people that is on the right track. Also, I know I can get through high school without worrying about if I am going to eat, or if I am going to get yelled at for something I know I did not do.

If I stay in foster care and stay at the foster home I am at until I graduate, I will not have to move schools anymore and worry about catching up on school work that the new school is doing.

I don’t want to go through all of that stuff anymore. Life is not supposed to be like that. As a child you are not suppose to worry about what is going to happen next, such as, am I going to eat today, am I going to get yelled at for something I did not do, and am I going to come home from school to see my dad drunk and high.

In conclusion, as you can see it is better to stay in foster care if your parents can not keep things together and/or their act together. I am better off staying with the family I am with.