Shelby - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

It was “little mermaid day” Friday of Homecoming week; I decide to wear a red wig to school and beach clothes. It was pretty cool. At first I was pretty leery about wearing it, but after I got to school, I was glad I did. You see, there are always those days when there is a once in a lifetime chance, like auditioning for American Idol. Now, I’ve never done that before but I’ll use it as an example. So you see the American Idol sign for auditions, and you say to yourself, “wouldn’t that be amazing if I went and auditioned?” Yeah, it would be pretty cool, but instead of just standing there thinking about it, why not just go out there and do it?! What is the worst possible thing that could happen? Yeah, there is always the chance of Simon Cowell saying that you were dreadful and you’d end up television being completely humiliated. But on the plus side, you won’t have to wonder what would have happened.

All I’m saying is if you see something that you want to do, why not just go out there and do it? I mean, we only have one life to live, and so why not just make the best of it? Fifty years from now, I don’t have to regret the fact that I never wore that red wig to school for “little mermaid day.” Fifty years from now I can say, “yeah I wore a red wig to school. I’ll never get a chance like that again, but hey it was fun.”

By seizing the moment, people’s lives will be fun and exciting! All they have to do it go out there and make it happen.