Elizabeth - Middleton, Massachusetts

I believe that French fries should be a food group and that laughing until it hurts is synonymous with exercise. I believe in keepsake boxes and starting sentences with conjunctions. I believe that there is a lot to be said about shy people, lesbians, and people who send care packages. For further explanation, you’ll have to wait until I write my book.

And I believe in eternal optimism, clear umbrellas, and Kurt Vonnegut’s 1997 MIT commencement speech. I believe in crossword puzzles, your favorite song on repeat, and drinking juice in the shower. I believe in hopeless romantics, finding a good luck penny and leaving it for someone who really needs it and that they just don’t make anything the way they used to. I believe that laughter is timeless and dreams really are forever. I judge photos by how happy I look in them. And I believe in the power of wishing on an eyelash. I believe blow jobs are not grounds for impeachment, but lying sure is. And even more than that, I believe that a president should stand by the returning American soldier coffins, because it’s been done in every other war.

I believe in saying everything with conviction and until I fell in love with one, I jokingly believed all republicans were bad people. I believe censorship is an outrage. And I wholeheartedly believe in ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can’t live without each other love. Moreover, I believe that if and when my heart brakes, it will beat all the same. I believe that everything has levels and can be measured on scales. “On a scale of 1 to all upset,…” I believe breakfast can be eaten all day long and I believe in celebration. And furthermore, I believe that 10% of the community are Nazis. And by Nazis, I mean if they could get away with pure evil, they would. And in spite of that, I believe that there are still a few good left—my father being one of them.

I strive to be among the learners in the world. I know I have the ability to make someone’s day better and I thoroughly believe in exercising this privilege. I have faith in the US Postal Service. I believe people who fail to appreciate creativity are bad people, no exceptions. And the littlest things in life, are usually the things worth remembering and capturing. Furthermore, I believe in hallmark holidays and that life is a long process of becoming. I believe in feeling so good that I am infinite and that at seventeen, I have the world at my feet. I believe inside voices are overrated and that asking questions is the only way to get answers. I believe that if you can’t handle me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my best. I’m convinced watching America’s Funniest Home Videos makes me a happier and therefore better person. I believe in childhood nicknames, picnics, and all things wildly inappropriate.

I believe that sometimes the first step towards anything I want to do is the hardest and most painful thing I will ever do to accomplish my goals. Most importantly and more than anything else, I eternally and exponentially believe in myself, my aspirations, and my future.