Austin - Minneapolis, Minnesota

My biggest supporter, my mom, died from breast cancer in the summer of 2001. I was eleven at the time. I grew up on the rough streets of Minneapolis, Minnesota. I went to a small Catholic school, enjoyed playing sports and hanging out with friends. Until that one day my life changed. We knew it was coming everyday, but it still hit just as hard.

I believe in me. I believe in me because if I don’t believe in me, why should anyone else? I believe everyone has to be their number one supporter. If you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything. Your stands give you grounds, grounds will keep you from being vulnerable. Vulnerable was what I was after my mom died. My dad worked all the time and on top of that he played in two bands, lived a rock star life and got into things he probably shouldn’t have. I had to believe in me because he never had the time to.

Believing in me allowed me to do many things I would never been able to do if I didn’t. I’m 17 and an operation coordinator at Best Buy. Every single person in my department is younger then me. But when I applied for the job, I believed I was the best one for it. My manager agreed, but without the support from myself, I would not be the leader there that I am today. None of my family or friends understand what I have to do on a 7-hour sift that starts half an hour after school gets out, so it’s really hard to draw support from them.

I’ve lived long enough to learn a few thing. I’ve learned several values through family, friends and mostly mistakes. But the most important thing I have ever learned, I’ve learned from myself. I learned to believe in me, and anything is possible. I believe in me.