shannon - san antonio, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

I believe we all deserve second chances. Second chances at redirecting our lives. Second chances at friendships. Seconds chances at hope.

Many people tend to loose themselves in the process of finding who we really are. Many loose themselves and never recover. Trapped in personality, an obligation, directed by high school. directed by clicks. Directed by teen angst.

This summer I lost friends. I lost the people closest to me. I lost self respect. I lost hope for the future. I lost truth. I lost myself. Someone once told me that people, like me, who think more than the average, who think more in depth than the average, have one disadvantage, We see the world for what it really is, and that kind of reality can shake anyone.

This is what I mean when I say I believe in second chances. Matt Ward has this song called “Poison Cup.” In it he says “If love, if love is a poison cup, then drink it up, ‘Cause a sip a sip or a spoonful won’t do. Wont do nothing for you except mess you up.” I know I wasn’t talking about love here, but when I heard this song something clicked. Something about what he is saying in this song, about throwing yourself out there, about how things tend to get worse before they get better, before it’s all over. This is what I mean when I say I believe in second chances.

I regained more truth and understanding than ever. I regained hope for a better future. And those friend, those friends gave me a second chance. No words spoken, just a simple understanding that I was sorry. A understanding that I was lost, trapped in this mindset, trapped in the wrong crowd.

I am not like those people, and that was a bittersweet realization for me. Realizing I am not like the ones that give up; because I believe in second chances.