Ellen - San Antonio, Texas

I Believe…

I believe having one good friend is better than having friends that are not really there for you.

When I started high school the way I choose my friends changed. I stopped trying to be part of the “in crowd”, and began trying to find people that wanted the same things I did, people that had goals in life. I found friends that wanted to go to college and would inspire me to do the same.

Some people believe having a lot of friends in high school is the ultimate goal to reach. I believe that so cliché. When you are younger you base your friendships with people on who is considered cool by your peers and who is wearing the latest style. But, do all those materialistic thing really matter anymore when you reach high school? I believe for some people those things really do matter but for me, they really do not.

I believe having one good friend is better than having friends that are not really there for you. My personal experiences with friends have not always been the best simply because I was not surrounding myself with supportive people. I was pulled into situations that I could have avoided if I would have listened to my one good friend. Maybe, if I would have listened, I would have not had to learn some things the hard way in life about your “so called” friends.

Now that I am older and a little wiser, I should hope, I choose my friends more carefully. My mom is my one good friend that I know I can count on no matter what happens.