jennifer - corona, California

I believe in family. I believe family is a very important part of my life. Since I was born they were always there for me. I can’t imagine life without my family; they are part of what has shaped my character and life style into being me.

“An ounce of blood is worth more than a pound of friendship.” My friends have come and gone all my life, but my family will always be there for me. I remember telling my friends secrets, and then having that friend turn their back on me by sharing that secret with somebody else, and then end up losing that friend, but I tell my family secrets knowing and trusting that they will not turn on me. My family does not judge or criticize me, but I never know what friends are saying about me behind my back.

Family is not only a part of my culture or just people i’m related to. We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors are there in back of our minds, just as they are there in the DNA of every cell in our body. Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.

My family has gone through some tough times, my dad died three years ago on my sister’s birthday, he was sick in the hospital for six months. I lost a great part of my life. I had to face something very hard, something I couldn’t do alone. Without the support of my family I wouldn’t have been able to make it. It was a horrifying time for us, but because we were able to stick together and provide support for one another, we were able to live through three years without my dad.

There were times when I had suicidal thoughts , or panic attacks, which I also had to see the rest of my family go through, but when we would start to see eachother fall, we would do anything and everything to bring eachother back up. It was a hard, sad, and terrible time for all of us but we were able to cope with it as a family and not let eachother fall.

In conclusion, a good family is the best thing a person can have. I believe family is a haven in this harsh world we live in. It is a support system you can’t get anywhere else. It is what shapes you into being what you are. Family is and will forever be a part of you.