Norman - SHELBYVILLE, Tennessee

I believe sadly in the power of stupidity. I also believe in the power of love and the destructive power of hate, but stupidity can be their equal. This power does not discriminate based on race, creed, age, or national origin. No, it is an equal opportunity power, imposing it’s will upon the rich and poor alike. Stupidity isnot tied to intelligence or education. I firmly hold this believe based on fifty years of observing, and sometimes living through the consequences of this power force. Stupidity allows Congressman to argue over whether or not ketchup constitutes a vegetable in a school lunch program. It allows Senators, who voted for the War in Iraq to claim they were mislead, when in fact they failed to read the intelligence estimate their decision was based upon and when they had an oversight responsibility for the very intelligence organizations they blame for misleading them. Stupidity is what allows Hollywood celebrities to fly private jets to a Presidential Inauguration and then proudly carpool to be environmentally friendly. The difference between stupidity among the rich and poor is that the rich have a “bully pulpit” from which to proudly announce and showcase their performance. The poor typically have a much more limited audience. Stupidity is likely responsible for many of the world’s conflicts, responsible for much of the ugliness of life. Stupidity breeds upon and amplifies hate. Evil done out of pure hate somehow seems more rational that that done out of stupidity. We can attempt to combat hate. How can we hope to combat stupidity? Sadly, this I believe.