Katelynne - Fairbanks, Alaska

What I Believe

I believe in what I learned in Geometry class.

A week ago I was sitting in Geometry class bored. As I took notes on the lesson I gazed out the door and watched students as they strolled by. Meanwhile, I was being taught how to prove the steps taken in a math problem. This is 1, 2, 3, simple, yet necessary I thought.

Proofs are a light bulb shining light on the truth. Proofs are as boring as a block of wood, yet that day I found myself intrigued by such a simple concept. I was captivated by the fact that I already knew about proofs and that I have been proving myself all of my life. I learned at an early age that if I wanted to be trusted I had to prove myself. If I wanted to go outside and play I would have to prove that my homework was done. The only difference was now I was utilizing this concept in math.

Realizing what I had just discovered I hurriedly jotted down the rest of the notes like a runner racing for the finish line, and then sat back and thought about the meaning of proofs. Proofs were designed to prove why a conclusion is true or false. I never was able to comprehend the meaning of proofs even though it is a concept I learned in Kindergarten.

As I started on my homework, I recognized that proofs are necessary because if I never prove myself, then I will never be respected. I am like a scientist uncovering a mystery and finding my hypothesis true, because proofs are absolutely necessary in daily life, especially for me.

I learned this all in Geometry class one day when I was bored. Proofs must have been important, or else they wouldn’t have entered my mind. So, now I will be like a mother cat as she cares for her kittens, I will take the time to understand proofs.