Carl - Brookfield, Illinois

Many people have lots of different beliefs, but I believe the most important thing in life is to fight. I believe that the human spirit possesses the ability to truck through any ailment or sickeness they may be going through, and all they need is the willpower. My personal story of fighting is actually my mother’s own. On March 15th, 2005, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She told us that it was more widespread than the doctors would have liked, so she would have to go through rigorous chemotherapy. For the first few days, everyone in our family felt nothing but despair, and that really made my mom angry. She never let anything get her down, and she never seemed to be unhappy. My aunt would come over with dinner for us almost every night, and her and my mom would sit there and talk in the kitchen for hours every night, and I think she really helped my mom keep her spirits up 24/7. After my mom had to quit her job because of her sickness from the chemo, she would still go into the office at least twice a week to help someone with something they couldn’t figure out, or to go help find some files for someone. That really amazed my dad and I. I really can’t imagine myself doing any of the things she did when she was so sick myself. When she had her mastectomy in June, my sister and I had to stay with family friends because my dad would be in an out of the hospital all weekend. Every night that she was gone, she’d call my sister and I and talk for about an hour, about the shows she missed that I had to watch for her, or about how my cousin’s new job was going. She never let her sickness get in the way of anything that needed to be done, or anything that the people that loved her needed from her. She never stopped doing things, and I didn’t realize it until she was cancer free. My mom’s fight was with cancer, and she won. She never let it beat her, and I learned that I had to do the same, and always try and succeed in life, no matter what. My mom taught my entire family that the most important thing is to never give up.