Alyssa - Alpharetta, Georgia

Going to church on Sunday was a given. My mom would come into my room at eight-thirty, shake me, tell me to wake up, and then do it again every 10 minutes until I would finally drag myself out of bed and into the shower. It was a process that I would grudgingly take part in every Sunday until my junior year of high school. That year things changed. Things changed for the better.

I grew up in a Christian home. My parents were believers, my grandparents were believers, and I too was expected to be a believer. I followed that principle until my teenage years. I went through the motions and was a “Sunday Christian”; I listened during church, took in the information, and then forgot about it the next day. I began to disregard what I was hearing and develop my own set of ideals, or lack there of.

There was a turning point that I distinctly remember. I was sitting in church one Sunday listening to the preacher and I have a vivid recollection asking myself: “how does this guy standing behind a pulpit know that God exists?” All it took was that one second and that one simple question to send my mind into a flurry of questions that neither I, nor anyone else I knew, was prepared to answer. “How do we know the Bible is accurate?” “What historical evidence is there to back up what the Bible says?”

All the questions I had were too much for me to think about and understand myself, so I didn’t try. My faith was set on the back- burner. It was a bit more difficult for me to do that, however, because I was attending a private Christian school at the time. My ninth grade Bible class, however, turned out to be the one class I looked forward to most, which was quite unexpected since all through middle school I absolutely dreaded walking into that classroom. I wanted to believe in God and I wanted to change my life, so I went to my bible teacher, Coach Cline, for advice. He gave me a book called The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell and I read the book cover to cover. McDowell clearly laid out all of the historical and archeological evidence that proves that the Bible is real, which is what I needed to solidify my faith.

I started going to a new church that targeted the “non-believers” and “new-believers” and the messages really applied to my life. My parents and my brother started attending the church with me, which brought us closer as a family because I had family to talk to. I could discuss the issues I faced with my parents because I knew that they would help me keep grounded in my faith. I wouldn’t trade that kind of relationship for anything in the world.

I believe in belief and the change that it can make in your life.