Friendships last forever

Jayme - Laguna Niguel, California

Friendship is a relationship between two or more people that care about each other, like to be together, they are always there for each other, and are together in bad times and in good times. But the most important thing about friendship is that when one of the people involved in that friendship leaves, not from the friendship group but from the city or state, or even country, the friendship is still there.

I grew up in another country called Chile. Even though I wasn’t born there I call it my home. The fact that I grew up there made me have most of my friends there. My friends and I would spend all of our time together. Their parents were my parents and my parents were their parents. There wouldn’t be even one weekend when we wouldn’t see each other. Each time we were together we would have so much fun, we wouldn’t be bored for even one second.

We knew the time was coming up when I would leave to come to the states, but nobody ever talked about it. When we did talk about it, it was because an adult or someone else brought it up. Each day we knew the time was coming, but we ignored it as if it wasn’t even there. As if I was never to leave.

When I thought about it, I thought to myself, “I’ve got enough time.” When I only actually had two months I started to notice that I didn’t have much time left, but I would tell my self I had plenty of time, I would tell myself that because I was afraid of the fact that I was going to loose my friends forever. And each time I thought about how much time I had left I kept on saying that I had plenty of time. I had two weeks when I actually noticed that I didn’t have much time left. There wouldn’t be one day that I didn’t think about it after that, but I still ignored the fact that I was actually leaving. I had two days left and I was still acting as if nothing was going to happen. Each time I would see someone the subject that I was leaving came up, but I really didn’t assimilate that I going to leave.

I told everybody that I will be ok when I knew that I actually wasn’t going to be ok, I don’t think anybody would be ok with loosing their friends. The day of my departure came, and I acted as if everything was normal, until I was on my way to the airport. I couldn’t keep on dodging the fact that I was leaving. I couldn’t keep all the tears back, I started crying. Thirteen of my friends went to the airport that night, and they were all important to me. Each time that I looked at them I remember the fact that I was going to loose them. When I was walking though the airport I felt that I didn’t have any luggage, that I was leaving Chile empty handed, that I was leaving everything behind.

All along I kept on avoiding the fact that I was leaving because I didn’t want to loose my friends. I didn’t want to accept the fact that I would never see them again, that I would never talk to them again. But as the time has gone by since I’ve been here I have noticed something, my friends are still here with me but just not physically. We still keep “in touch” and sometimes it even feels like there here with me.

I believe that friendships last forever; even though they are not there physically they will always be in your heart.