Rebecca - apex, North Carolina
Themes: equality, race

I believe in equality of skin color. God made everyone equal and being prejudice against certain races is not how people are supposed to act. We are all humans with feelings. We are all built the same and we all have a functioning brain. The only difference is that not everyone has the same colored skin.

Several of my friends are different races, yes, we all have different backgrounds and skin color, but deep down we are all crazy teenagers afraid of our parents. Everyone has similar tastes once you get to know them. If I would have judged my friends because of their skin color I would never have met some of my closest friends. Loving someone for who they are is what really counts, not how they look. Being treated differently because of skin color is completely absurd.

One of my friends from Middle School is Arabic and because she must wear a head covering, due to her heritage, she is treated like she is a threat to our country or she may be our next big terrorist. I have gone to a public outing with her before and I noticed that all people do is stare like she is an alien to our country. That is no way to treat someone. If these people really knew her they would know who she really is and that she is nothing like that. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and all she thinks of is others, that doesn’t sound like a terrorist to me. I just wish people would see her or anybody of a foreign country as a human being, not just a little spectacle that must be watched at every second.

If you just give someone a chance you may be surprised to see how much they have in common with you. Just because someone doesn’t look the same as you doesn’t mean they don’t have similar qualities. Never judge a book by it’s cover.