David - Brookline, Massachusetts

My mom is Christian. My dad is Jewish. I have always thought of myself as half Jewish and half Christian.

While I was growing up my parents didn’t want to make decisions for me, about my beliefs. As I got older, I didn’t have a first communion, I didn’t have a bar mitzvah.

I don’t believe in God. That does not mean that I am an atheist. I still identify myself as being Jewish and Christian, even though I don’t believe in all of there principles. I do believe in the ethics in these religions and they guide me in my everyday life.

Throughout my whole life people have questioned and asked me about how I can be two different religions at the same time. I explain that at the core, the ethics are the same. Nobody had ever told me that I couldn’t be both.

When I was fourteen me and my friend were talking. I don’t remember how it came up, but I said that I was both Jewish and Christian. He started saying that I could not be two religions at once. He also said that religion was not like race and you cannot be mixed. I tried to explain to him all my beliefs.

My experience has taught me many things, one of them is that no matter who you are, you can do, think or believe what ever you want. People should not care or prosecute against any one else’s religion or beliefs. Religion is for yourself.