corey - newcastle, California
Themes: sports

I believe in bodybuilding. I am 17 years old, a senior in high school, and have been lifting weights for a little over eight months. In my short time in bodybuilding I have put more than 100 pounds on all my core lifts, and I have found working out to be quite addicting.

My older brother was my reason for starting up bodybuilding. He had been going strong for at least two years before I started a strict program, and he had amazing gains. Without his guidance or his persistence to get me started, I would never have made the gains I have, or even started ding these activities that I now love.

I find that lifting is a much better source of exercise than cardio. It is a much lower impact on your joints, and it still provides a great burn as long as your rest between sets is not too long. While cardio is the main exercise people turn to for burning fat, bodybuilding will give you a body to be proud of. Would you rather look like a toothpick, or be able to actually put your physique to use?

Bodybuilding will also help people who are in a job that requires strength. Say your working construction, and you have to carry lumber or something around the construction site. Well, if you have been on a lifting program for a while before you started working at the site; your work is going to be less strenuous. Personally, doing work around has gotten much easier. Whether I am digging holes for trees, or putting in a walkway, it seems much easier to me now than it did eight months ago.

But my favorite thing about lifting, besides the great pump up and hardly being able to bend your arms because they are so worked, or the excitement of beating one of your personal records, would have to be people noticing. When I got back to school this year, my friends and even one of my coaches noticed my changes, and it really made me realize how much I love lifting.

So to all of you out there that think bodybuilding is not for you, I would have to disagree. Not only is it a productive way to spend free time, but it improves your physical health, and gives you the strength to do your everyday tasks easier. Now you have to ask yourself, are you ready to pump up?